Every time I open this project I can’t help but work on the next component, but for the purposes of this week’s assignment, a preliminary version is here.
The Intercept recently published a series of articles based on leaked documents obtained detailing U.S. government [attempted] assassinations of targets in Afghanistan, Yemen, and Somalia. Already intrigued by what information might be publicly available related to this covert war, one of the ICM homework links, one of Jer Thorp’s blog posts, Art and the API included information on a project which collected information on U.S. Drone strikes:
“Josh Begley, a data artist living in New York, has recently created an API which allows access to information on every US drone strike, using data from The Bureau for Investigative Journalism. Updated as new strikes are reported and confirmed, The API allows others access to verified and aggregated data on drone activity.”
I ended up using data from Dronestream to create a website where you could click on a country to chronologically look through information on drone strike deaths in that country. Continue reading “Drone Strike Deaths”